Friday, April 11, 2014

Adaptation.

There are two very different views on cultural adaptation and the Chinese undergraduate student in American culture.  The first thought is that Chinese students are struggling or even failing at adapting to the American environment.    

The article I read recently suggested that Chinese undergraduate students try different methods to acclimatise quickly to American culture.  Here are a few of the suggestions:
Adapt to American classroom practices and expectations but also take from personal, social, institutional and technological resources. The second perspective is that the so called deficit’s are not deficit’s at all but an evolution in their educational journey or even life journey and that they should look at their experience as a personal and professional development.  

Whatever camp you are in, a deficit or an asset I suggest you read the article below, I really enjoyed it.  I like to think of myself as a student of life and a work in progress as I believe we all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment