Thursday, February 27, 2014

PUBLIC SPEAKING SHOULD BE MANDATORY!!!

Preparation & practice is key!
Colleges and universities have a set of standards they want each student to graduate with and those expectations are:  Written communication, critical thinking, quantitative literacy, information literacy, civic knowledge and or diversity. The question has been raised recently: Whether public speaking should be a general education requirement? 
I find it interesting that this would be a debate in higher education, it was a mandatory class at CSULB (best school in the world!), for myself, I loved the class.  It helped me to organise my thoughts and outline what I wanted to say effectively.  I do believe this should be a required class it builds confidence, organises your thoughts, plus you learn different styles of presentations with a creative element (great practices for job interviews).  
This isn't a new concept. Aristotle believed that Rhetoric should be part of their education in accent Greece and this can be traced back as far as the pre-Socratices ages.  This method of education was known as sophistry and sophisticated. Most universities in the United States were built on the sophistry education system, however as time has passed it has changed.  I understand that more general education requirements may seem daunting but it is a disservice to not prepare a graduate with the ability to present themselves in a positive way.  Well in any case I loved my presentation class and I still have my text book from the class.  I don't regret the extra courses I took at CSULB, it only made me more prepared for the real world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment