Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Top Two Language Apps Of The Week Are...

I have started to scratch the surface on my mission to learn Mandarin. It's day five and already I have found my first two favourite apps for language learning. 

I based my decision on: 

-How user friendly the app is.
-The price of the app
-How much I learnt from using the app and most importantly...
-How much fun I had whilst learning!

Learn Chinese: Available in many languages. This app has all the basics for free including but not limited to: Greetings, numbers, directions, places, eating and emergencies. Upgrades are available for small fee and a variety of languages are offered.   

The app shows you the word in English and Chinese (others do not). There is audio so you are able to hear the proper pronunciation, there is also an option for the word being read superslow so dabble with perfection

Each word is spelt out phonetically in English. You can even place a red heart next to your favourite words or phrases so you can access them easily. Awesome. http://ow.ly/twsmQ

Mandarin Flashcards: My favourite aspects of this app would have to be the pictures-some were beautiful photographs, and of course the sound effects-I especially enjoyed the Cow and the Elephant. Just an example of how they have made learning a bit more fun!

As for educational value: There are a variety of categories to choose from including colours, transport, food and numbers. The app shows one flashcard at a time with a pronunciation, which you are able to repeat as many times as you wish. Elizabeth has been caught chasing me around the house threatening to throw my phone out of the window-I suggest using headphones unless you are home alone. All the basics are free, upgrades are available. http://ow.ly/twppL 

Some language apps are fun games but by the time I have completed a few levels, I have not learnt a word of Mandarin (but I have beaten my top score!). I realise that I do need to take into account the fact that people to learn in different ways, so I forced six my friends to download these apps and give them a try. I was delighted to find that each of them came back with positive things to say about the apps. Some even greeted me in Mandarin upon my return, and only one of them had lost a phone due to their spouse's overexposure shall we say to the experiment.  

Overall, I have learnt plenty through the world of language apps. The only real downside is the horrific music played throughout!

Enjoy learning my friends and, as always if you have any feedback or favourites of your own then please do share them here.

Amber Williams-Director
Bearla International Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment