Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pizza and the future of the United States work force

Amber and I recently had dinner with two friends of mine: Kelly and Laura, we went to the ‘rated best pizza in all of American’ Michael’s Pizzeria, Long Beach. The pesto pizza with the artichokes and potato pennies is divine.

We were talking about Bearla International Studies and the different schools we have had the pleasure of working with. Kelly brought up the topic of us working with the high school students at her school.  She said the first people to go were the counselors in the budget cuts, and that seniors do not have anybody to guide them.  She suggested working with the students in low-income schools because they are not being supported; they need guidance and someone to believe in them. They are hungry to move up in the world, and are crying out for proper guidance. She told us the story of an educational presenter, who gave a speach to the students recently; she was surprised at how the kids were focused on what the presenter was saying and were really listening to the advice being given.  This reminded me of my high school years and my counselor Mr. Ingram he was tall, big belly, ten millions years old and a southern gentleman.  I remember he had a thing for the popcorn kernels.  I also remember asking him for help to get to university, and he pulled out my file threw it on the desk and said 'you are not university material, you will never go to university or educate yourself, you are better off getting married and letting a man take care of you'. It took me years to 
brush off his
statements, but at 27 I went back to school and now have an undergraduate degree in music from CSULB and a MBA in Finance, from Argosy University. I hope to one day, have him call me 'Dr Koukladas', awkward for someone that did not see the potential in me 'Dr.  Elizabeth' is fine with me…..


Kelly, is right, we have a wealth of untapped resources: our young people, we have given them unobtainable or unrealistic expectations of the world without the appropriate and essential guidance and support.  This wealth of work power is there to be groomed for the United States future but who will help?!


No comments:

Post a Comment