Thursday, January 9, 2014

F1 Student Visa Help: Student Visas Simplified

I have been on International Student Forums and found a lot of questions about visas, that’s why I have decided to extend this blog with a few more answers to your visa blues.
Can I Travel Outside the US?
Yes, as long as you re-enter the country before five months is up, get your official school to issue an I-20 before you leave the US. 
Can I transfer to a different school?
Yes, you must notify your current school/college/university and work with the new insitutions official DSO to transfer your SEVIS record (remember what a SEVIS?  Look below for terminology).  You also need a new I-20 and to give the completed I-20 to your new host institution DSO within 15 days of transfer date.
Can I work in the U.S. with a F1 visa?
The F1 visa is intended for an international student to study in the U.S. but there are strict work restrictions.  Generally with an F1 visa you are allowed to work on the campus of the university at which you attend for up to 20 hours a week.  Make sure you check in with your official DSO or International Advisor before starting a job.
How long can I stay in the U.S. with a F1 visa?
When you enter the U.S. as an international student you will be issued an I-94 card that indicates your non-immigrants status (F-1) and your authorized stay. Duration of Status (D/S) on our student I-94 card, this means that you may remain in the U.S. as long as you are enrolled at a school, college or university to complete your academic program.  After the program ends you will have 60 days to depart from the U.S.
If you do have any direct questions please feel free to contact us we will do our best to answer your questions.

F-1                        Non-immigrant student visa
I-20                      Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-                               For Academic and Language Students
I-94                      A form denoting your Arrival-Departure Record           
DSO                      Designated School Official
SEVIS                   Student and Exchange Visitor Program

No comments:

Post a Comment