Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Help!!! I Want to Go to University‏!

Several studies show that academically talented low-income students, are not applying to university or college.   The studies show that students are benefitting from intensive college counseling.  A recent study from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that a nonprofit group that focuses on college counseling in Minneapolis - St. Paul had a significant impact on the rate at which low-income students enrolled in four-year colleges, including competitive institutions. 
There is a clear correlation to talented low-income students not applying to a competitive university or college, or applying and not being accepted.  The study was based on two groups that more than 45 percent of the students in the College Possible program enrolled at a four-year college, while the figure in the control group was 34 percent.  
The article has implied that students from a low-income families with the potential to go to a highly recognized university or colleges, need more guidance to the admissions application process.  In high school I wasn’t much a student in fact I was a below average students (so they thought).  I didn't receive help with applying to university and was discouraged by my high school counselor.  
The frustration I feel for students has made me put my life in perspective to help bridge the gap for students who feel they have no hope or support.  Bearla International Studies was born from the passion I feel about helping to educate all people that desire to change their lives.  
Come on Counselors get on it and step up, help guide these young people to achieve their goals in life, there is nothing like the feeling you get from a student that has achieved their first step in following their dreams….I know I'm cheesy but I really mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment