Saturday, January 4, 2014

Turning Down Education?

A month ago George Osborne announced a cap on the numbers of undergraduate students attending university, in an effort to strengthen the UK’s long-term economic competitiveness. The cap is proposed to be removed next year.  It's great news that the government is stepping up and acknowledging the need for higher education in a modern economic society. 
The question I have is why are applications for university down in the UK?  According to Ucas stats the number of UK students applications are down 1% and an increase of 5% in applicants from outside the EU to the UK.  It came to me that, it is all well and good that the government is in favour of higher education, but what are they doing to encourage students to apply?  How are they helping fund the education?  They aren’t, they have increased tuition, utilities, and cost of living.  I say put your money where your mouth is and make education affordable, and that goes for the USA too.  Sorry, I am preaching but I feel the need to, I love education, I would spend the rest of my life in school if I could but cannot afford it ;)

1 comment:

  1. Apologies we are experiencing a technical fault. Please come back later.

    ReplyDelete